Help! My Kid is Transgender – What Happens Now? (via Zoom)
Time & Location
About the Event
This session is intended as a platform to support and encourage parents of trans kids, to give them the courage they need to uplift, support and advocate for their gender diverse children, and dispel myths about trans people, the trans community, and their child’s future as a trans person.
This session is applicable for the parents of transgender/non-binary/gender non-conforming children who want to learn more about their child’s identity and receive non-judgemental support. It is NOT intended for families in crisis, those seeking specialist support from a counsellor, or individuals unwilling to maintain an open-minded and respectful atmosphere.
This session will cover the following:
- Grounding – Taking stock of the situation, what it means for a child to open up about their identity, validating feelings of concern.
- Perspective – Understanding that your child hasn’t changed, putting grief in context.
- Relationships – How to ensure a positive relationship with your child moving forward in their gender journey, how to communicate effectively.
- The future – Treatment pathways, changing laws, growing up as a gender diverse person.
- Next steps – Creating a family plan, taking responsibility.
- Getting support – Resources for parents, where to go next.
About the facilitator – Finn is a gender non-conforming trans man, and an experienced equality and diversity educator and activist. He uses his own experiences and those of his family to facilitate engaging, thought provoking sessions that dispel common myths about what it’s like to be a trans person.
- General Admission£5+£0.13 Service fee£5+£0.13 Service fee0£0